Thursday, July 30, 2009

Is Honesty A Fad of the Past?

I don't do this often for fear of no comments but here goes

I believe in honesty.

Not white lie honesty.

Not "only if it feels good" honesty.

Not" when it's convenient for me" honesty.

I mean good, old fashioned, not sugar-coated honesty.

Now, I know I have a gift of being able to deliver truth in tough situations and have the vocabulary and heart to be sure and not make it brutal or disrespectful.

But my question is, why is it so hard for people to be honest with each other or (better yet) with themselves?

I am just curious because I cannot relate to anything other than complete and open honesty about all things...

Now, I will quickly admit that I used to lie big time as a kid - and I can tell you why I did it then. For attention and because I was extremely insecure. By junior high, I migrated to the truth because it was exhausting making up shit all the time :)

So - someone, anyone, tell me why people are not honest.

2 comments:

  1. One clarification... I am not saying that I am perfect in the area of honesty.

    Of course, I have lied or stretched the truth since junior high - my point is about overall intentionality of being honest. I work very hard to be honest and conduct myself in truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People aren't honest because they are afraid..afraid of hurting someon, afraid that people will be disappointed in them, afraid that speaking the truth will make them have to change their behavior, or alter their relationships.

    As Jack Nicholson said, "You can't handle the truth!"

    Some people really can't.

    I used to be a terrible liar as a kid...mostly to keep myself out of trouble. Now, I try to be as truthful as possible....without being totally insensitive to the people around me.

    ReplyDelete