Sunday, May 17, 2009

Observations on the Road of Character Building

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering canthe soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved" - Helen Keller

This was my daily "word" from my current Women Who Do Too Much Page-A-Day Calendar on Friday May 8, 2009.

These words have reverberated in my mind daily since that day. I have meditated on this statement each day and wanted to share with you why I KNOW Helen Keller is on point with this quote.

1. The road of Character Building is often a lonely one.

2. While lonely - the road of Character Building is never one you travel with doubt. You have a strong conviction one way or another otherwise you'd be on a different road.

3. Often times the stops you make on the road of Character Building are heartbreaking, yet you continue forward because as I stated above - you have a strong conviction to keep moving forward.

4. Character Building is a continuous journey. In my experience, you have rest stops of triumph mixed in with accidents and road blocks- yet the road never ends.

5. Character Building is contagious. In slow and subtle ways, I have seen lives transformed by witnessing and experiencing strong character in others.

Dictionary defines character as moral excellence and firmness.

Tough to define "moral excellence" these days when the moral compass of the world is all over the place. However, I think we all know good Character when we encounter it.

I have a one way ticket on this road.

No comments:

Post a Comment