Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Surgery: Relationship, Transaction or Both?

Tomorrow, I will have surgery to relieve a compressed nerve in right forearm that has slowed me down to all but a crawl in the last 4.5 months.

All the interactions with the doctor's office and the hospital leading up to the big day have really got me thinking about how "transactional" this deeply personal relationship appears to be.

Let's face it - some relationships in life are transactional by design and by nature.

When stopping to think about that, it's a tough thought.

On one hand, there are transactions between humans all the time - some on a regular basis, some intermittent and some once in a great while. So we are always weaving in and out of some type of transaction or relationship with people.  Understood. No issue.

On the other hand, I believe that some relationships - however brief - mean more than others and should be treated that way. The health care industry sits in this category.  Whether it's a long term relationship you a doctor or a short relationship with a surgeon - everyone in the relationship stream must strive for every interaction to feel deeper than a mere transaction.

While I may only have arm surgery once in my life (shooting prayers up as I blog this)  - the value my experience in this relationship has huge implications for my surgeon and the hospital that treats me.

Do you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment