Monday, December 6, 2010

Stretched: Why We Are Worth The Extra Push

Kermit stretched out is a great depiction of how I feel after my first therapy session.
Stretched.


That's how I feel after my first therapy session post surgery on my right arm. I don't know about you, but “stretched” isn't exactly my favorite place to be. And I've been there many times...


stretched at work
stretched in my marriage
stretched in my faith
stretched mentally, and most recently
stretched physically
My tolerance for "stretching" has increased over the past few years particularly because of the incredible growth that occurs during these seasons of life. As uncomfortable as it is, I've come to look forward to the "stretching" times in my life.
When we stretch - we push ourselves beyond our current position. We reach for what, at the moment, feels impossible. We make ourselves more flexible for what is waiting around the next corner. We exercise "muscles" that we sometimes didn't even know we had. We gain confidence in areas where there was fear. We feel pain and joy - in explicably together in the same moment. Most importantly, we transform, little-by-little, each time we stretch. And before you know it we are not only growing ourselves, but we are pushing others to stretch as well.
So the next time you're faced with a "stretching" season - don't whine, complain or deny - just lean in and warm up up those "muscles" you rarely use and STRETCH with all you've got. 
You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment