Monday, February 11, 2013

I Got A Theme Song, But What About The Others?

Recently saw a post on Facebook about the following songs for your life: A Theme Song, A Strut Song and Your Entrance Song. Being a person extremely touched and moved by music on so many levels, of course, I have a Theme Song. Have had one for the last 22 years or so. What shocked me upon reading the post was my ignorance to the concept of the Strut and Entrance song.

Duh.

Why had I never given that any thought before now?

My theme song is Baby I'm A Star by Prince. Released in June 1984 with the Purple Rain album, this up tempo, mucho bravado and personal manifesto of a song became my theme song sometime during my sophomore year in college. Not sure exactly what the assignment was but I remember having to write about it and explain my choice.

Very simple. Have you ever listened to the words to that song? It starts with...

Hey. Look me over. Tell me do you like what you see. Hey, I ain't got no money, but honey, I'm rich on personality

And of course the chorus  - Baby I'm a (star). Might not know it now, but baby I are, I'm a (star).

For as long as I can remember, I saw those words as mine. Even now - when I play the song, my hearts perks up and my adrenaline starts flowing overtime. Prince wrote it as an ode to Pop Stardom that was finally setting in for him at his peak when Purple Rain, the album and movie were released. It has always been sort of an anthem to what was coming in my life as well. "Might not know it now, but baby... I'm a star!"

Now add the Strut song and Entrance song to the mix and I'm about stumped. I'm still thinking about the Strut song simply because - it seems more personal, less a song that others will hear, more of a song that plays in your mind as you strut. The Entrance song is a bit more doable at the moment simply because I do public speak. Many folks who speak have an entrance song, especially when they get to a certain level and their talks are held in certain types of venues. There are candidates for my Entrance song, oh are there candidates.

Being a political junkie and super fan of presidential politics - hearing the Entrance song concept reminds me of President Clinton's adoption of Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Believing" for his campaigns in 1992 and 1996. Every time I hear those songs, I think of him entering an arena.

So I was thinking my entrance song could be one of two U2 songs, one INXS B side and the Whitney Houston cover of Chaka Khan's 70s classic. 

Four songs - four very different meanings, lyrics, three different artists.

Desire - U2
Even Better Than The Real Thing - U2
Shining Star - INXS
I'm Every Woman - Whitney Houston

Still can't decide. The good thing is, I'm not packing stadiums or running for federal office just yet so I am under no pressure to pick now. I'll continue to deliberate and use my "Baby, I'm Star" in all capacities.

What about YOU?

Do you have a theme song?

What would your Strut Song or Entrance Song be?

No comments:

Post a Comment