Sunday, January 11, 2009

Do you trust yourself?

This is not a hypothetical question. Nor am I trying to dig into your psyche for some deep seeded revelation.

I am asking you the simple question - Do you trust yourself?

Over the last few months - I've been confronted with this on two fronts, both personally and professionally. I must say that each time, while I second-guessed my initial thoughts (as I always do) because of the swift nature by which they came to me, I always moved upon those first inclinations. I have not failed me. My gut has not failed me. In fact - I would go as so far to say that trusting myself has become my sport of late and I am getting very good at it.

It is like a sport. If you do not practice your craft - whether it be tennis, golf, basketball, futbol (or football) - you will be no good at it. The more you practice the better you become.

Dictionary says trust is the "reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc, of a person or thing. Confidence."

So I ask today - Do you trust yourself?

4 comments:

  1. I very much trust myself, my ability, my knowledge. It hasn't failed me very often and even when I jump before I know all the facts or things don't pan out as planned, I learn something from it. The three months in Buffalo (despite being broke because the economy dried up most sponsorship dollars combined with transferring into a overstaffed store) was a great stepping-stone to where I am now. It gave me experience in marketing, in community relations, and in team management that allows me to take the risk of starting a new soccer club. Some may doubt me, but *I* don't doubt myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends, I trust my gut when it comes to the life changing, "OH MAN WHAT AM I GONNA DO?" decisions. However, my gut does not trust me when there are baked goods in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...since you asked...yes, I do...except around chocolate!

    But seriously though, I think this brings an interesting point...part II of this should be--if you don't trust yourself, WHY? If your past has shown poor decision-making, then it is time to re-evaluate the path you are on!

    It saddens me to see mature individuals unsure of their decision-making! There is a Bible verse that states that if anyone lacks wisdom, ask God who gives generously to all! I am so thankful to have learned that lesson in life while in college within the counsel of good friends, like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I trust my self and my intuitions. So far, 99% of my intuitions were correct. Thank goodness for my ability to read people. ;)

    ReplyDelete