Sunday, August 9, 2009

Authentic Peace With Others


Yesterday, in the frenzy to finish up all the last minute errand running - a pair of earrings caught my eye.

Not just your normal peace sign earrings - but underneath you can see there are many different religious symbols dangling from it - there is a cross, a star of David and a few I don't even recognize.

The clearance price of $7 for these sterling beauties had me at the red tag. But for one minute  I hesitated.

What do those symbols I don't recognize mean?

What would I say if someone asked?

How would I explain?

Am I endorsing those other religions?

Then an overwhelming calm fell upon me - right there in the TJ Maxx store on Rt. 59 - I actually thought I heard singing. No lie.

I am lover of Christ and all his precepts. I read the bible daily and pray that the Word saturates my being and transforms me to be a better human being. THEREFORE...

I love the idea of wearing peace earrings that call out many religions in the process. Why?

Because I strive to be at peace with others - 

Dictionary says peace is a state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relations.

In today's,  "You're an idiot" environment - we need to learn to respectfully disagree with those who think differently than we do. We need to peaceful co-exist with people who are different than we are.

Right now,  there is a huge fashion trend with the peace symbol. My prayer is that with folks seeing the peace sign so much - maybe we'll start to live as if we really want peace in our lives.

What better way to get the movement going than to have a Jesus freak wear these cool earrings?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post. U go, girl. "To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." If people ask u questions about ur earrings, God will give ur the PERFECT answers!

    ReplyDelete