Monday, January 16, 2012

Pursue Your Righteous Calling, No Matter What.

A rare photo of Dr. Martin Luther King with a smile.

I chose this photo on purpose.

Most photos I've seen of the great peace driven leader are solemn and pensive. I love that this rare photo genuinely displays joy in his eyes.

I believe what you see in this photo is likely the best depiction of what his life was like. No doubt, he had the weight of the world on his shoulders as well as the eyes of the world on his every move. And it is documented that he had a target on his back. But I contend that he loved it because he was living out his unique calling.

Think about it.

How many articles can you read about his family and their fear of losing him? How many photos can you find of him and Coretta where they just look spent?  Can you imagine the the private conversations between him and his family and confidants? Remember his very public response (Letter from a Birmingham Jail) to the private  pleas from his peers to "wait" as the country was not "ready" for his movement?

Martin Luther King, Jr is my first inspiration for pursuing righteous callings at all costs.

Often what we desire most in life, comes with high costs.

Isolation.

Endurance.

Risk.

Self-sacrifice.

However, it also comes with...

Satisfaction

Validation

Peace.

I am opening the door of a new reality for me very soon. A reality that has been in the making since 2008. In fact, it was 3 years ago this weekend that I took the very bold step towards it by turning in my packet for election to local office. And little by little, I've been making movements toward my life's work. Each day, each month, each year getting closer. But it all started with a bit of courage and inspiration from many... including the late great Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who I know pursued and lived his own righteous calling at all costs.

Thanks Dr. King.





No comments:

Post a Comment