Thursday, June 25, 2009

Authentic Shock and Sadness


I am absolutely shocked and saddened by the loss of Michael Joseph Jackson today. Funny, I'd been formulating a post on the amazing way that God uses different people to speak to you if you are open. I was going to blog about a chance encounter last Thursday night but that post will have to wait. I can barely type as I reflect on all the things MJ meant to me.

He was the original MJ - before there was Michael Jordan. It was tough for me to even call Jordan MJ because of this fact.

He was the person I looked to that gave me hope as a young black girl that we, too, could mean the world to people. Before Michael - I'd only see white artists on MTV and there was no BET so seeing him and his videos were like the Super Bowl to me everytime a new one debuted. Seeing women of all ages and races CRY over him was so impactful on me growing up.

His talent wowed and amazed me over and over. Billie Jean is one of my all time favorite songs along with Don't Stop til You Get Enough. Seeing him dance tonight in the clips gave me chills.

His posters lined my bedroom wall. Right On magazine could not give me enough posters. I was introduced to John Stamos because of my insatiable yearning for all things Michael that I bought a Tiger Beat one day.

He was the first guy I dreamed I'd marry. Ask my stepmom - I talked about it all the time.

His work on "We Are The World" and countless other philantropic endeavors inspired me.

His duets with Paul McCartney introduced me to the Beatles.

Throughout his tumultuous later life - I prayed for him each time there was a flare up. I saw him as person who was tormented and needed grace - not just from God but from everyone.

Someone I know asked today - "didn't we lose him a long time ago?" Yeah but secretly, I'd always hoped for a resurfacing of the real Michael we all grew up loving.

Poor black kid from Gary Indiana makes it big. Astronomical.

It is surreal to think that we are without this tremendous talent so soon.

May God comfort his family and especially his three children.

Thank you Michael for all you were to me. May you rest in peace with your Maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment